This page is for coordinating the production of videos about & from the Wikimania 2014 and to make the results visible for the public at large.
Participating Wikipedians[edit | edit source]
Please add here your username, your skills, and what you want to do in London – or from your home! We need you to help acquiring the equipment listed below; to help fixing dates and arrange meetings; to help updating this page here; to produce; to edit; to upload; to categorize; to watch; to applause; ... :)
- --Jan Schwefel 12:20, 19 April 2014 (UTC): I would especially like to host interviews with people at and around the Wikimania (like I already did at WikiCon2013), for more skills see commons:User:Jan Schwefel/media.
- --Nkansahrexford (talk) 21:19, 29 April 2014 (UTC): I would especially want to handle camera on set and post productions such as video editing and processing. I've got a bit of CG/3D background, so perhaps can throw a bit in when necessary ;) +Rexford
- --MB-one (talk) 13:06, 12 July 2014 (UTC) I got my first experience with the flipcam project at last year's wikimania. Could help with making interviews and camera work.
- --Vgrass (talk) 11:48, 6 August 2014 (UTC) If all goes well, I'll bring an EOS Mark III, thinking about doing interviews on videos in Wikipedia for de:WP:Videos für Wikipedia-Artikel but open for other things as well.
- -- Ter-burg (talk) 09:53, 9 August 2014 (UTC) Making some time lapses and shooting b-roll for others to use.
- Add your name here with * --~~~~ plus info
Video production[edit | edit source]
This is the place for contributors to connect and coordinate for the following:
Meetup[edit | edit source]
We should meet in London on the first day, to get a good start. Some of us will hopefully be able to organise preparation meetings.
- In Berlin we can meet at the WMDE headquarters – date and time yet to be agreed.
- SUNDAY at Wikimania 2014 - Lunch meetup for video enthusiasts, 1pm in the 4th floor Conservatory
Interviews[edit | edit source]
for this task we need:
- Camera operator(s) in London
- Video editor(s) in London or from home if we can transfer the raw video material
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Some local Wikimedia chapters can provide cameras etc.
- What can WMF do for us?
- 1 x Panasonc AG-AC160 AEJ incl. 4 x 32 GB SD Cards and Tripod
- 1 x ATEM Television Studio (4 x HD-SDI / 4 x HDMI mixer)
- 1 x HyperDeck Studio Pro (HD-SDI / HDMI SSD recorder)
Room[edit | edit source]
- A room at the Barbican
would be very helpfulis needed to store equipment safely, to meet, to rest, to do video editing and uploads, ...
- high bandwidth internet connection to transfer the raw video files (some Gigabytes, could be transferred during nighttime if the room is a secure or closed place)
Video editing[edit | edit source]
- Can be done on-site in London if we can get capable hardware (video-editing computer), bandwidth, etc. Please list here what you can bring/request:
- Can also be done by Wikipedians who are not in London, from their home – then we need to transfer the files, hopefully asap.
Broadcasting / Streaming[edit | edit source]
- Hangouts on Air – enable studio mode for each participant (i.e. computer connected to the hangout). Here's the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5I8HR9IQM0&t=1m25s.
Archiving[edit | edit source]
of the raw footage on a Wikimedia-server (but not publicly on Commons)
Converting and uploading[edit | edit source]
Involved WikiProjects[edit | edit source]
- en:WP:WikiProject Wiki Makes Video & de:WP:WikiProjekt Videos
- en:WP:WikiTV & de:WP:WikiTV
- de:WP:Videos für Wikipedia-Artikel ("Videos for Wikipedia articles")
- List of Wiki video projects
- toollabs:videoconvert - hilarious new converting & uploading tool
Related submissions & ideas[edit | edit source]
- Submissions/How to produce video & audio files for Wiki projects, for instance interviews
- Submissions/Video production on-site at Wikimania
- Submissions/The State (and Fate) of Video in Wikimedia
- Submissions/Freedom in motion: the state of open video and audio at Wikimedia
- Submissions/official video collection
- Submissions/Four Years of Contributing and Connecting to Wikipedia from Inside the Audio-visual Archive
- Submissions/Multimedia Overview
- Submissions/Multimedia Roundtable
- Submissions/What Wikimedia Can Learn from Journalism – And What Journalism Can Learn From Wikimedia
- Submissions/Open Access Media Importer
- Brainstorming#Decentralize Video Sharing
- Brainstorming#Two live feed cameras (in some situations)
- Brainstorming#Live broadcasting
Results[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
2013[edit | edit source]
Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong short
Wikimania 2013 Hong Kong long
Multimedia Roundtable - Part 1
Wikimania 2013 by Olaf Kosinsky (59)
Wikimania beach party (7)
- Commons:Category:Wikimania 2013 videos
- wm2013:Video upload instructions
- wm2013:Submissions/Wiki Makes Video - Towards a More Visual Encyclopedia
- wm2013:Submissions/Video tutor of Wikipedia technology and development for engineering students
2012[edit | edit source]
Video project "The Impact of Wikipedia" 2012 (4 out of 23 videos):
- Commons:Category:Wikimania 2012 videos
- wm2012:Submissions/Video on Wikipedia