Submissions/Wikipedia and Medicine
This is an accepted submission for Wikimania 2014.
- Submission no. 3053
- Title of the submission
- Wikipedia and Medicine
- Type of submission
- Author of the submission
- James Heilman
- E-mail address
- Country of origin
- Affiliation, if any (organisation, company etc.)
- Wikiproject Med Foundation
- Personal homepage or blog
- Abstract (at least 300 words to describe your proposal)
Wikipedia is the single most used health resource in the world. Like much of Wikipedia; however, it is not as good as it could or should be. A group of editor at WPMED and Wiki Project Med Foundation are working to try to improve things. The presentation will discuss our efforts including:
- Translating high quality content into as many other languages as possible in collaboration with Translators Without Borders. Currently working in around 60 languages and have translated more than 3 million words of text. How we are addressing the fact that different languages have different readership and one version does not fit all.
- Collaborating with other evidence based medical organizations including the Cochrane Collaboration, the National Institute of Health and Cancer Research UK
- Collaborating with the University of California San Francisco College of Medicine. Have run two pilot 4 week 4th year medical student electives.
- While we have a clear idea what people are looking at in English. What does medical viewership look like in other languages? A discussion of new data from Wikipedia's other 286 languages.
- How we are dealing with conflict of interest editing.
- WikiCulture & Community or GLAM Outreach or Education Outreach
- Length of session (if other than 30 minutes, specify how long)
- 60 Minutes
- Will you attend Wikimania if your submission is not accepted?
- Slides or further information (optional)
- Also see the meetup-event on Thursday - Pre-Conference: Medical Wikipedians
Interested attendees[edit | edit source]
If you are interested in attending this session, please sign with your username below. This will help reviewers to decide which sessions are of high interest. Sign with four tildes. (~~~~).
- Lianochetta (talk) 16:07, 6 February 2014 (UTC)
- Jfdwolff (talk) 09:56, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Manum56 (talk) 10:03, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Ocaasi (talk) 11:46, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Blue Rasberry (talk) 19:33, 26 January 2014 (UTC)
- Anthonyhcole (talk) 18:10, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- West.andrew.g (talk) 20:10, 27 January 2014 (UTC)
- Hildabast (talk) 12:00, 29 January 2014 (UTC)
- Johnbod (= Wiki CRUK John (talk) 01:52, 12 February 2014 (UTC)
- Evan-Amos (talk) 01:38, 16 February 2014 (UTC)
- Gustavocarra (talk) 18:29, 22 February 2014 (UTC)
- Vini 175 (talk) 01:50, 24 February 2014 (UTC)
- YWelinder (WMF) (talk) 05:44, 1 March 2014 (UTC)
- Frank Schulenburg (talk) 19:22, 19 March 2014 (UTC)
- Slashme (talk) 08:40, 22 March 2014 (UTC)
- AbhiSuryawanshi (talk) 15:55, 28 March 2014 (UTC)
- LiAnna (Wiki Ed) (talk) 22:47, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
- FloNight (talk) 16:23, 15 April 2014 (UTC)
- --Netha Hussain (talk) 09:52, 12 July 2014 (UTC)
- MistyMorn (talk) 18:30, 19 July 2014 (UTC)
- Tomjpollard (talk) 11:31, 21 July 2014 (UTC)